INTRODUCING TRIPADVISOR'S "TOP VALUES" INDEX
More Bang for Your Buck in Nearly 1,000 Destinations Worldwide
NEWTON, Mass. – March 3, 2009 – /PRNewswire/ — TripAdvisor®, the world's most popular and largest travel community, today announced the launch of its "Top Values" Index, an easy way to sort the most popular hotels around the world to quickly find the hotels that are great values today.
"We've made it a priority to release products and site features in 2009 that help travelers get the most from their shrinking wallets," said Christine Petersen, chief marketing officer of TripAdvisor. "The 'Top Values' Index helps quickly sort through the most popular hotels and showcases unique values based on current information." TripAdvisor is projecting a nearly 50 percent increase in travelers talking about "deals" on its site in '09 versus '08.
To identify excellent value hotels, TripAdvisor constructed a proprietary algorithm that analyzes the relationship between a hotel's quality and price – quality as determined by input from real travelers on TripAdvisor as well as third party content, such as star ratings. TripAdvisor then showcases these properties as "Top Values," which are, on average, $101 per night or 31 percent less expensive than all hotels listed on TripAdvisor. "Top Values" are updated daily to reflect the most recent prices and quality ratings.
Available on all TripAdvisor worldwide sites, "Top Values" is one of many new products and features TripAdvisor is rolling out in 2009 to help travelers plan and have the perfect trip, on any budget. To access "Top Values," visit TripAdvisor hotel listing pages and click the check box beside "Show TripAdvisor Top Values first."
"Top Values" Hotels in Top U.S. Cities
As of February 26, 2009
- Boston, Massachusetts, Hilton Boston Logan Airport – In top 20% of hotels in Boston. Average nightly rate: $236, compared to average of all top 20%: $424.
- Chicago, Illinois, InterContinental Chicago (Five-Star Find) – In top 15% of hotels in Chicago. Average nightly rate: $271, compared to average of all top 15%: $346.
- Houston, Texas, Hilton Garden Inn Houston Galleria – In top 5% of hotels in Houston. Average nightly rate: $132, compared to average of all top 5%: $226.
- Las Vegas, Nevada, Bill's Gamblin' Hall & Saloon – In top 5% of hotels in Las Vegas. Average nightly rate: $91, compared to average of all top 5%: $315.
- Los Angeles, California, Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Hollywood Walk of Fame – In top 10% of hotels in Los Angeles. Average nightly rate: $141, compared to average of all top 10%: $267.
- Miami, Florida, Sofitel Miami – In top 15% of hotels in Miami. Average nightly rate: $196, compared to average of all top 15%: $263.
- New York City, New York, Chelsea Lodge – In top 10% of hotels in New York City. Average nightly rate: $124, compared to average of all top 10%: $434.
- Orlando, Florida, Hilton Grand Vacations Club on International Drive – In top 5% of hotels in Orlando. Average nightly rate: $160, compared to average of all top 5%: $232.
- Phoenix, Arizona, Four Points by Sheraton Phoenix North – In top 15% of hotels in Phoenix. Average nightly rate: $143, compared to average of all top 15%: $233.
- San Francisco, California, Ocean Park Motel – In top 10% of hotels in San Francisco. Average nightly rate: $125, compared to average of all top 10%: $344.
About TripAdvisor Media Network
TripAdvisor® Media Network, operated by TripAdvisor, LLC, attracts more than 32 million monthly visitors* across 14 popular travel brands: TripAdvisor®, www.airfarewatchdog.com, www.bookingbuddy.com, www.cruisecritic.com, www.flipkey.com, www.frequentflier.com, www.holidaywatchdog.com, www.independenttraveler.com, www.onetime.com, www.seatguru.com, www.smartertravel.com, www.travel-library.com, www.travelpod.com and www.virtualtourist.com. TripAdvisor-branded sites make up the largest travel community in the world, with more than 25 million monthly visitors*, 10 million registered members and 20 million reviews and opinions. Featuring real advice from real travelers, TripAdvisor-branded sites cover 300,000+ hotels and attractions and operate in the U.S. (http://www.tripadvisor.com), the U.K. (http://www.tripadvisor.co.uk), Ireland (http://www.tripadvisor.ie), France (http://www.tripadvisor.fr), Germany (http://www.tripadvisor.de), Italy (http://www.tripadvisor.it), Spain (http://www.tripadvisor.es), India (http://www.tripadvisor.in) and Japan (http://www.tripadvisor.jp). TripAdvisor® Media Network provides travel suppliers with graphical advertising opportunities and a cost-per-click marketing platform. Collectively, the sites comprising the TripAdvisor Media Network have won hundreds of awards and accolades from press and industry worldwide. TripAdvisor and the sites comprising the TripAdvisor Media Network are operating companies of Expedia, Inc. (NASDAQ: EXPE).
TripAdvisor and TripAdvisor.com are registered trademarks of TripAdvisor LLC in the U.S. and/or other countries. Other logos or product and company names mentioned herein may be the property of their respective owners.
©2009 TripAdvisor LLC. All rights reserved.
*Source: comScore Media Metrix, July 2008