Schick® Introduces Complete Reinvention of Razor and Promises to Refresh Men’s Shaves with New Schick Hydro™
Brand Touts Skin Care and Advanced Hydrating System as Key Innovations at CAGNY Investor Conference
SHELTON, CT, February 19, 2010 /PRNewswire/ — Energizer, Inc. announced a bold new razor line for its Schick® brand at the CAGNY investor conference today. Officials say the new Schick Hydro™ will revolutionize men’s shaves by protecting and caring for skin while it removes hair thanks to many first to market technologies. These new technologies are proven to reduce irritation, providing men with refreshing, liberating shaves.
“Innovation is a part of our DNA at Energizer,” said Ward Klein, chief executive officer, Energizer, Inc. “With Hydro we’re introducing a razor system that goes well beyond a simple product upgrade and delivers outstanding performance and skin care.”
A complete reinvention of the razor, the Schick Hydro results from years of testing and consumer collaboration, making it the most thoroughly researched product in the brand’s 87 year history.
Over this extensive development period, thousands of consumers provided their insights into the shaving experience and their feedback on prototypes, models and technologies. Consumer testers included men and women of all ages, from all walks of life, and with a wide range of sensitivity to adjustments in razor technologies.
“We had conversations with thousands of men, and what we heard, in short, was the shaving experience needed to be refreshed. They told us the potential for irritation kept them from feeling good during their shaves and that they wanted something that would refresh and rejuvenate them,” said Dan Kinton, senior brand manager for Schick. “With Schick Hydro, we knew that if we could create a shaving line that actually made men feel better, we’d be able to return shaving to its rightful place as a refreshing daily ritual. Our goal was to create a razor that gives back the hydration other razors take away.”
While current Schick razors deliver high performance, Schick Hydro is nothing less than a total rebuild of the razor system — blade cartridge, lubricating system, trimming blade, and handle —all working together to reduce shaving irritation. Schick is also launching its first line of shave gels in the U.S. under the Hydro banner, which will help men prepare their faces for shaving and add an extra boost of hydration to their skin.
The Schick Hydro razor will be available to consumers in three-blade and five-blade versions. The three-blade version delivers high performance and protection for men seeking top performance at a better value. The Hydro five-blade offers the latest in razor technology, including a never before seen flip trimmer, an Advanced Hydrating Gel Reservoir with vitamin E and five smooth glide blades.
“Schick Hydro is a technological step change for the entire razor category,” said David VerNooy, vice president of technology for Schick. “From the way the blades are positioned in space, the blade cartridge and the lubrication system, to the handle and trimming blade, we looked at every element of this razor and redesigned it to create a markedly improved shave experience for men.”
Central to the Hydro innovations is the addition of Skin Guards, innovative skin protectors that smooth out skin between blades, protecting the skin during shaves; an Advanced Hydrating Gel Reservoir that delivers concentrated moisturizing lubricants to the skin, going well beyond conventional lubricating strips; the advent of a flip trimmer, which allows men to flip back the Hydrating Gel Reservoir for precise edging and shaving in tight areas; and a new ergonomic handle design.
OVERVIEW OF NEW SCHICK HYDRO FEATURES
- Skin Guards — Skin guards are innovative skin protectors that actually smooth out skin between blade tips to reduce irritation. Only Schick Hydro delivers this technology.
- Advanced Hydrating Gel Reservoir -- The Hydro blade cartridge uses proprietary technology to pack advanced lubrication – with soothing aloe vera and vitamin E – into a Hydrating Gel Reservoir that reinvents the lubricating strip that is found on most razors today. Men typically shave away their shave gels with the first stroke of their razor. The lubrication delivered by Schick Hydro adds hydration in multiple strokes, providing lubrication from start to finish and reducing irritation.
- Flip Trimmer — With the flip trimmer on the five-blade razor, men can flip back the Hydrating Gel Reservoir so that all five blades touch the skin, as opposed to the single edging blade on most razors.
- Ergonomic Handle — It’s something most men may never think about, but Schick even obsessed over developing an extremely comfortable, ergonomically effective handle. Consumer testing helped to whittle down several potential handle designs, applying men’s insights and opinions on ergonomics, grip, appearance and many other factors.
- Hydro Shave Gels — Designed to work with and enhance the Schick Hydro razors, the new Sensitive Skin™ and Moisturizing™ Shave Gels help to deliver maximum closeness and comfort.
Add all these advancements together, and the result is a razor that refreshes the tools of shaving, finally freeing men’s skin from irritation. By delivering greater protection and hydration, Schick Hydro products knock down the strongest complaint about shaving: irritation.
Schick Hydro will be available in three- and five-blade models this April and will be competitively priced. Schick Hydro shave gels will be available in Moisturizing and Sensitive Skin varieties and will also be available in April, 2010. For more information, log on to www.schickhydro.com.
About Schick-Wilkinson Sword
Schick-Wilkinson Sword, a leading manufacturer of razors around the world, is a division of Energizer Holdings, Inc. (NYSE: ENR), headquartered in St. Louis, Missouri. For more information on shaving and Schick® Hydro™, visit www.schickhydro.com.