OAKLEY RELEASES ENDURING™ – A WORLD FIRST IN EYEWEAR
New Sport Performance Sunglasses Made Exclusively for Women
FOOTHILL RANCH, Calif., May 7th, 2008 /PRNewswire/—Oakley, Inc. today announced the release of ENDURING™, the world's first sport performance eyewear made exclusively for women. Created in collaboration with the company's top female athletes, ENDURING™ addresses all the performance needs of today's woman while giving her the style of a freshly original, uniquely feminine design.
"Oakley ENDURING™ bridges the gap between form and function to offer female athletes the performance, protection and fit they need, and the style they deserve," said Colin Baden, president of the company. "Oakley evolved in the world of action sports, serving the uncompromising demands of world-class athletes. Our impressive roster of female athletes gave us a wealth of insight into the wants and needs of today's active woman. We applied this insight and the knowledge that came from decades of optical innovation to create a world first, the only sport performance eyewear truly made for women."
Until now, female athletes have been forced to compromise performance, comfort and style by wearing sunglasses that failed to address their specific needs. The fit of the frame has always been a key issue, so Oakley analyzed every aspect of female cranial anatomy to create the best possible fit for women. Baden continued, "Women know ENDURING™ is different the moment they try it on. This is performance eyewear that fits right, feels right and stays in place. A precise fit isn't just a matter of style - it's a matter of performance, and that's why we put so much effort into creating design geometry specifically for women," Baden concluded.
Oakley ENDURING™ is being hailed as a revolution in sports technology, and the praise is coming from female athletes whose names are in the pantheon of champions. 2008 Olympic hopeful Lolo Jones considers the new eyewear to be essential equipment for training and competition in track and field. "Oakley has created this first-of-its kind product that is optimized with attention to detail in every aspect," said Lolo. "They recognize that women demand the best products, and they consistently listen to our performance needs to inspire innovation after innovation."
Annika Sorenstam is another world-renowned sport professional whose performance demands were answered by the new Oakley design. "This is sports eyewear made specifically for women by women," said the Hall of Fame golfer. "I've never worn sunglasses this comfortable. They just feel right, and with the incredible lens technologies that Oakley has perfected, I know I have the best possible vision on the course."
The culmination of decades of Oakley optical innovation, ENDURING™ offers female athletes the ultimate in comfort, performance and protection:
- Optimized fit for women, thanks to a design that takes into account the subtle and unique differences which define female facial geometry.
- Adaptable fit with two included sizes of nosepiece.
- Instant adaptation with an interchangeable lens design that lets athletes optimize performance in any environment.
- Smudge-resistant clarity of Oakley Hydrophobic™, a permanent lens coating that repels skin oils, lotions and dust while preventing water sheens from obstructing vision.
- Unbeatable performance of High Definition Optics® (HDO®), offering clarity and visual fidelity that exceeds ANSI Z87.1 optical standards.
- Wide-open peripheral view with the clarity of patented XYZ Optics®.
- All-day comfort of a lightweight O Matter® frame that offers a perfect Three-Point Fit.
- Superior impact protection that meets ANSI Z87.1 standards.
- 100% filtering of all UV thanks to pure Plutonite® lens material.
- UV protection for skin via lens contouring that helps shield the delicate areas around the eyes while maximizing side protection against sun, wind and impact.
- Styling of uniquely feminine design, highlighted by sculptural contours and true metal icons.
- Performance lens options to maximize vision: Iridium® lens coatings for balanced light transmission; vented lenses; and minimized glare via technology that produces the best polarized optics on the planet.
- Available with Oakley prescription inserts (single vision only; +2.00 to -5.00 with cylinder up to 2.00).
- Included Oakley Soft Vault case with space for storing an extra optional lens
- Available in multiple configurations with two unique lens shape options. The ENDURING™ PACE lens is shaped with feminine curves and offers the coverage athletes need for marathon competitions. ENDURING™ EDGE is a slightly larger lens with the attitude to take on any mountain terrain.
- Lens colors include Positive Red Iridium®, Black Iridium®, G30™ Black Iridium®, G20™, VR28® Black Iridium ® Polarized and G30™ Iridium® Vented
- Frames come in five feminine shades - Damson, Metallic Black, Pearl White, Lipstick Red and Cinder Red
- Suggested retail price: $155 - $255
About Oakley, Inc.
Oakley is a worldwide leader in performance optics including premium sunglasses, goggles, and prescription eyewear. Headquartered in Southern California, the company's optics brand portfolio includes Dragon, Fox Racing, Mosley Tribes, Oliver Peoples, and Paul Smith Spectacles. In addition to its worldwide wholesale business, the company operates retail locations including Oakley Stores, The Optical Shop of Aspen, and Sunglass Icon, the second largest sunglass specialty chain in the United States. The company also offers a wide selection of Oakley-branded apparel, footwear, watches and accessories. Additional information is available at www.oakley.com.
Safe Harbor Disclaimer
This press release contains certain statements of a forward-looking nature. Such statements are made pursuant to the "forward-looking statements" and "safe harbor" provisions within the meaning of Section 27A of the Securities Act of 1933, as amended, and Section 21E of the Securities Exchange Act of 1934, as amended. Forward-looking statements include, but are not limited to growth and strategies, future operating and financial results, financial expectations and current business indicators and are typically identified by the use of terms such as "look," "may," "should," "might," "believe," "plan," "expect," "anticipate," "estimate" and similar words, although some forward-looking statements may be expressed differently. The accuracy of such statements may be impacted by a number of business risks and uncertainties that could cause actual results to differ materially from those projected or anticipated, including but not limited to: risks related to the sale of new sunglass and electronics product introductions; execution of anticipated restructuring and realignment of product categories; the company's ability to integrate and operate acquisitions; the company's ability to manage rapid growth; new and existing channel inventory management risks related to the limited visibility of future sunglass orders associated with the company's "at once" production and fulfillment business model; the ability to identify qualified manufacturing partners; the ability to coordinate product development and production processes with those partners; the ability of those manufacturing partners and the company's internal production operations to increase production volumes on raw materials and finished goods in a timely fashion in response to increasing demand and enable the company to achieve timely delivery of finished goods to its customers; the ability to provide adequate fixturing to existing and future retail customers to meet anticipated needs and schedules; the dependence on optics sales to Luxottica Group S.p.A, which, as a major competitor, could materially alter or terminate its relationship with the company; the company's ability to expand and grow its distribution channels and its own retail operations; the ability of the company to integrate licensing arrangements without adversely affecting operations and the success of such initiatives. Additional factors are detailed in our filings with the Securities and Exchange Commission, including the Risk Factors contained in the company's Form 10-K for the year ended December 31, 2005 and as updated in the company's quarterly filings on Form 10-Q. Readers are cautioned not to place undue reliance on these forward-looking statements, which speak only as of the date hereof. The company is under no obligation, and expressly disclaims any obligation, to update or alter this forward-looking information.