Momentum Continues to Build Behind
SUSE Linux Enterprise 10
Platform praised by customers, partners and industry watchers
Novell announces bold new marketing campaign:
'Your Linux is Ready'
Dateline: SAN FRANCISCO (LinuxWorld Conference & Expo, Booth 604) -
Aug. 15, 2006
- Leading independent hardware and software vendors have expressed support for SUSE® Linux Enterprise 10 from Novell® (see "Quotes" below). SUSE Linux Enterprise 10 is the next-generation platform for the open enterprise. It includes SUSE Linux Enterprise Server and SUSE Linux Enterprise Desktop, providing a secure and reliable foundation for enterprise computing from the desktop to the data center - a lineup of enterprise-class solutions matched by no other Linux vendor.
- Novell has unveiled a bold integrated marketing campaign for SUSE Linux Enterprise 10 - "Your Linux is Ready™." This campaign focuses on the innovation delivered by the open source development community and how Novell brings that innovation to the enterprise. Intel is the first major independent hardware vendor to join the campaign, with a special focus on virtualization.
- Multimedia elements of the integrated initiative are included in this release, including examples of the print/online advertising, box shots, and marketing videos. Additional advertising information and resources are available at http://www.novell.com/company/advertising.
- Since SUSE Linux Enterprise 10 was launched on July 17:
- More than 154,000 copies of SUSE Linux Enterprise Server have been downloaded.
- More than 170,000 copies of SUSE Linux Enterprise Desktop have been downloaded.
- Novell's Linux homepage, www.novell.com/linux, has received more than 1 million page views.
- To help customers rapidly deploy SUSE Linux Enterprise 10 products, Novell is offering short-term consulting engagements called "Fast Tracks." Fast Tracks cover desktop, data center and Linux* core image build.
- To assist SUSE Linux Enterprise 10 customers, Novell has launched its new Linux certifications - the Novell Certified Linux Professional 10 and the Novell Certified Linux Engineer 10. The new courses for certification are now available globally. In addition, Novell is providing the Introduction to Novell's Code 10 Linux training course free of charge to Novell's authorized training partners.
- Novell has developed and is delivering a method to help get the latest high-end drivers into the hands of end-users. Novell has developed a certification kit for graphics adapters and drivers, to be used with any vendor's drivers (ATI, nVidia, 3Dlabs, etc.).
Examples of print/online advertising, box shots and marketing videos, along with additional advertising information and resources, are available at http://www.novell.com/company/advertising.
"Customer adoption of and partner support for SUSE Linux Enterprise has been tremendous. In just four weeks, we've seen companies start broad deployments of SUSE Linux Enterprise across their business. We have several companies actively participating in a pilot of SUSE Linux Enterprise Desktop, and others are in the first phases of migrating their mission-critical applications to SUSE Linux Enterprise Server. We're also working with partners, from the chip manufacturers to hardware vendors to software partners, to deliver the integrated solutions that our customers are requesting."
- Jeff Jaffe, Novell executive vice president and chief technology officer - click here to access Jeff Jaffe's blog
"SUSE Linux Enterprise is a platform that will change the rules of the game when it comes to enterprise operating systems. We needed to support this platform with a bold marketing campaign that really calls attention to the fact that Novell is the only Linux vendor to deliver a complete enterprise Linux solution, from the desktop to the data center. The focus of this campaign is to give credit where it belongs - to the amazing developers in the open source community delivering innovative software. Novell works with the community to test and secure the software, and then package it with the enterprise-class support that every business requires."
- John Dragoon, Novell senior vice president and chief marketing officer - click here to access John Dragoon's blog
"Virtualization is the next significant technology that will change the way companies deploy, provision and manage their operating systems. Virtualization is becoming a mainstream technology through its incorporation into operating systems such as SUSE Linux Enterprise Server 10, making it easy and affordable for customers to leverage this technology and move into a virtualized server environment."
- Al Gillen, IDC research vice president, System Software
"We are currently running SUSE Linux Enterprise Server 9 in our production environment and piloting SUSE Linux Enterprise Server 10. Although the pilot project is in its nascent stages, we are particularly excited about the possibilities of SUSE Linux Enterprise Server 10 with Xen for Linux virtualization on an Intel platform. SUSE Linux Enterprise continues to provide an innovative, strong and flexible foundation to run our business."
- Arvind Thapar, First National Bank of Omaha vice president and chief technology officer
"Germany's airspace is one of the busiest in the world, with up to 8,000 airplanes moving along air routes and airports every day. For the air traffic service provider, system downtime is not an option. In past years, SUSE Linux Enterprise provided a safe, scalable, stable and high-performance platform for our air traffic control systems. With respect to upcoming system developments, DFS evaluated SUSE Linux Enterprise Server 10 during the beta phase, and after rigorous testing we are convinced that SUSE Linux Enterprise Server 10 will keep up to our requirements, especially in the area of performance, high-availability and storage foundation. This is why DFS has chosen SUSE Linux Enterprise Server 10 as the default platform for system upgrades and new developments."
- Alexander Schanz, DFS German Air Navigation Services head of Linux Competence and Service Center
"Enterprise consideration of Linux has moved from simple cost calculations to performance, stability, scalability and efficiency. AMD and Novell are working together to deliver cost-effective solutions that leverage the advantages of AMD Opteron processors with Direct Connect Architecture and help our customers manage their enterprises with fewer resources. Novell's attractive pricing for running SUSE Linux Enterprise 10 in multi-core and virtualized environments is the right approach to reduce the total cost of ownership (TCO) and meet these requirements."
- Terri Hall, AMD vice president of software alliances
"The combination of SUSE Linux Enterprise 10 with Dell PowerEdge servers enables customers to realize the benefit of driving Linux deeper into the enterprise. By combining the power of Dell's ninth generation of servers with advancements in SUSE Linux Enterprise such as Xen virtualization, customers can easily deploy a secure and scalable infrastructure to run mission-critical applications."
- Judy Chavis, Dell director of alliances
"Linux is the fastest-growing server market today. With SUSE Linux Enterprise Server 10 from Novell, the innovation and value of the open source platform continue to increase the business responsiveness of IT infrastructures. Dynamic Data Centers, where virtualization and automation technologies open up new possibilities for adaptive computing, especially need the new functionality in SUSE Linux Enterprise Server 10. Linux's open source architecture, combined with the extensive and established support from Novell and FSC, make SUSE Linux Enterprise Server 10 a stable and flexible enterprise-class operating environment for our Dynamic Data Center solutions portfolio, optimizing IT agility, increasing reliability and improving application availability at dramatically lowered costs."
"For eight consecutive years, HP has led the overall Linux server market by making support for Linux and integrated open source and commercial software stacks our top priority. Novell's SUSE Linux Enterprise 10 moves the enterprise Linux story forward in a big way, with valuable new virtualization, security and accelerated graphical interface features. The combination of SUSE Linux Enterprise 10 on HP platforms enables us to deliver what our customers need today - Linux primed for business."
- Christine Martino, HP vice president, Open Source and Linux Organization
"IBM is committed to working with Novell to deliver customers secure, flexible and cost efficient Linux-based solutions running SUSE Linux Enterprise Server 10 from Novell across multiple IBM Systems, including System x, System z, and POWER further extended with key IBM middleware offerings and IBM service and support. Running SUSE Linux Enterprise Server 10 on IBM Systems and middleware, customers can look forward to reducing data center costs by taking advantage of the latest advancements in virtualization, open source and open standards technologies."
- Scott Handy, IBM vice president, Worldwide Linux and Open Source
"Intel's latest energy-efficient platforms based on the Dual-Core Intel Xeon processor and Intel Core 2 Duo processor coupled with Novell's SUSE Linux Enterprise 10 provide a solid foundation for a variety of end-to-end enterprise solutions, including line-of-business applications, mission-critical software applications and data center deployments. In addition, with SUSE Linux Enterprise Server 10, Novell and Intel bring the combined benefits of open source Xen 3.0 and Intel Virtualization Technology as a cost-effective Linux solution for server consolidation."
- Doug Fisher, Intel general manager, Core Software Division
"The ThinkPad T60p is a milestone for our collaboration and shared commitment with Novell to develop innovative and powerful workstation solutions. Never before could engineers operate such intensive applications such as CAD remotely on a mobile PC. Combined with Lenovo's support and ThinkVantage Technologies, the T60p using Novell's latest operating system is breaking down walls in the engineering industry and revolutionizing how these professionals work."
- Marc Godin, Lenovo vice president of marketing, Worldwide Notebook Business Unit
"An increasing number of SAP customers choose to run SAP technology and solutions in enterprise software environments also containing open source software such as Linux as one of several platform choices supported by SAP. SAP welcomes Novell's efforts to provide another version of its Linux distribution to the market that meets such enterprise demands for operating systems as a basis for SAP Net Weaver and SAP's Enterprise Service Oriented Architecture. Particularly Novell's continuous improvement around high availability for large clusters, security and virtualization increases our customers' choice to build an enterprise software environment that best meets their business demands."
- Frank Witte, SAP head of Global Open Source Office
"SGI continues to set new records by delivering world-class, industry-standard computing solutions with SUSE Linux Enterprise. SGI Altix running SUSE Linux Enterprise Server 10 recently shattered yet another record by announcing a single system image powered by 1,024 processors. Our collaboration with Novell is part of our commitment to bringing new levels of reliability and performance to high-end Linux environments."
- Bill Mannel, SGI director of systems marketing
"Novell leads the market in advancing Linux from the open source user to the competitive and formalized world of corporate IT. Alexander LAN Inc. has followed suit by supporting SUSE Linux Enterprise 10 in its Alexander SMK (System Management Kit)."
"Centeris is excited to support Novell on the release of SUSE Linux Enterprise Server 10. With the recent release of Centeris Likewise 2.0 with built-in support for SUSE Linux Enterprise Server 10, small and medium enterprises can easily integrate Linux servers with their existing infrastructure and simplify day-to-day management using familiar tools."
- Chuck Mount, Centeris vice president of marketing
"We are working closely with Novell to ensure SUSE Linux Enterprise Server 10 works seamlessly with PANTAmatrix, our advanced line of next generation blade servers. Novell's continued commitment to enterprise-grade features such as embedded virtualization with Xen and thorough InfiniBand stack testing with SUSE Linux Enterprise Server 10 demonstrates Novell's close alignment with the required feature sets of enterprise class customers."
- Scott Rose, PANTA Systems vice president of product management and marketing
"SUSE Linux Enterprise 10 provides the reliability, security and scalability to support Pentaho's enterprise-class business intelligence applications. We're pleased to offer the world's most popular open source BI suite on SUSE Linux Enterprise 10, supporting both the SUSE Linux Enterprise Server for mission-critical BI applications and the SUSE Linux Enterprise Desktop for general business users who need access to critical BI information from their Linux desktops."
- James Dixon, Pentaho architect and CTO
"SUSE Linux Enterprise Desktop is the best Linux desktop on the market. Rather than waiting for Vista we think many IT managers and CIOs will now make the move to Linux because it's more secure, less expensive, and much more open than Windows. And for those businesses who are still locked into Windows by their legacy Visual Basic applications, REAL Software will help move those applications to SUSE Linux Enterprise Desktop. We look forward to helping Novell convert a lot of Windows shops to Linux."
"SteelEye and Novell have joint customers worldwide who are leveraging the reliability, security and scalability of SUSE Linux Enterprise Server and the application and data protection of LifeKeeper. We are today announcing support for SUSE Linux Enterprise Server 10 within LifeKeeper for Linux v6 and are pleased that our joint customers can now realize the expanded benefits of the most interoperable platform for enterprise computing."
"We are enthusiastic about Novell's announcement of the enhanced SUSE Linux Enterprise 10 operating system because it demonstrates a commitment to support enterprise-class systems and applications. SUSE Linux Enterprise 10 will offer Teradata customers, including those who run the most demanding mission-critical applications, scalability, availability and manageability. We plan to offer SUSE Linux Enterprise 10 operating system to Teradata customers with our Teradata Warehouse 9.0 release just as we have made previous Teradata Warehouse releases available on SUSE Linux Enterprise 9."
- Scott Gnau, Teradata vice president and general manager, Research and Development - a division of NCR Corporation
"The inclusion of Apache Geronimo into SUSE Linux Enterprise 10 shows Novell's commitment to 'pure' open source software. As a trusted partner of Novell, Virtuas shares the philosophy of providing customers the greatest amount of flexibility and control with regard to their technologies."
- Matt Filios, Virtuas president and founder
"Novell and XenSource have worked closely to bring Xen virtualization to enterprise customers, with SUSE Linux Enterprise 10 being the first enterprise Linux distribution to do so. Xen virtualization and SUSE Linux Enterprise bring customers the cost savings that result from server consolidation, increased utilization and reduced complexity in the data center."
- Simon Crosby, XenSource chief technology officer
"Novell's SUSE Linux Enterprise 10 is designed to be an ideal platform for open source computing, and it can serve as an excellent foundation as businesses increasingly deploy proven, commercial-grade open source software throughout their development and operational stacks. With Amanda Enterprise Edition software, Zmanda is bringing, for the first time, the benefits of open source to the critical operational task of data protection. We are pleased to add Novell's SUSE Linux Enterprise 10 to the many enterprise platforms supported by Amanda Enterprise for business-ready, cost-effective data protection."
Novell, Inc. (Nasdaq: NOVL) delivers Software for the Open Enterprise™. With more than 50,000 customers in 43 countries, Novell helps customers manage, simplify, secure and integrate their technology environments by leveraging best-of-breed, open standards-based software. With over 20 years of experience, 5,000 employees, 5,000 partners and support centers around the world, Novell helps customers gain control over their IT operating environment while reducing cost. More information about Novell can be found at http://www.novell.com.
Novell and SUSE are registered trademarks, and Software for the Open Enterprise and Your Linux is Ready are trademarks of Novell, Inc. in the United States and other countries. *Linux is a registered trademark of Linus Torvalds. All other third-party trademarks are the property of their respective owners.
Add to del.icio.us