MIX IT UP WITH GAP THIS HOLIDAY SEASON
Gap Ushers in the Holidays with Celebrities Wearing the New Holiday Classics, Remixed Carols Performed by Actors, Musicians and Comedians, and Gift Ideas for Everyone on Your List
SAN FRANCISCO · November 13, 2008 /PRNewswire/ — Gap is mixing it up this holiday season with the help of a diverse cast of actors, comedians and musicians to launch its holiday collection full of classic winter styles in bright, bold colors and cozy holiday accessories. Centered on the concept of mixing items to create your own look for you and everyone on your shopping list, Gap's holiday campaign includes star-studded ads with actors such as Mary-Louise Parker and Jason Bateman, a remix of traditional holiday carols featuring personalities such as Rainn Wilson, Flo Rida and Selma Blair, and a limited-edition Gap Argyle Cruiser created with Electra Bicycle Company, the perfect gift for adults and kids.
"Gap is well-known for bringing a bright, fresh look to the holidays. This year we created a collection of holiday items in bold colors and patterns including stripes and argyle that are fun to mix together to create your own individual look – and give to everyone on your list," said Ivy Ross, executive vice president of Gap Marketing. "We love offering our customers one-of-a-kind gift ideas and creating interactive ways for customers to engage with Gap this holiday season."
Gap's New Holiday Classics:
Gap's holiday collection is all about mixing colors and patterns – from classic crewnecks and colorful cable knit sweaters, to cozy accessories and essential jeans. Set against a simple white backdrop to contrast with the bright colors and the stripe and argyle patterns in the holiday collection, the print campaign features an assortment of today's hottest stars, with Gap's must-have holiday items, expressing their unique style in the photos:
- Mary-Louise Parker, Actor, playfully wearing The Cable Crewneck ($44)
- Missy Rayder, Model, and Frankie Rayder, Model, looking perfect in The Striped Cardigan ($58) and The Argyle Crewneck ($48)
- Mila Kunis, Actor, effortlessly wearing The Argyle Crewneck ($48)
- Milla Jovovich, Actor, cozying up to her 8-month old daughter Ever Gabo in The Wrap Sweater ($68)
- Ashanti, Singer/Actress looking dashing in The Wintersoft V-Neck ($38)
- Anglea Lindvall, Model, with sons Sebastian and Dakota looking picture-perfect in The 3/4-Sleeved Turtleneck ($58)
- Jennifer Hudson, Actor/Singer, adding her own unique style to The Wintersoft Turtleneck ($38)
- Jason Bateman, Actor, with his adorable 21-month old, Francesca on his shoulders wearing The Winter Crewneck ($39.50)
- Jon Heder, Actor showing off his killer moves in The Winter V-Neck ($44.50)
- Rainn Wilson, Actor hamming it up in The Argyle Crewneck ($58)
- Cam Gigandet, Actor looking dapper in The Argyle Crewneck ($58)
- Jon Hamm, Actor, joyfully wearing The Button Mock Neck ($68) with girlfriend Jennifer Westfeldt, Actress/Screenwriter in The Wintersoft V-Neck ($38)
- Ben Barnes, Actor warding off a chill with The Cashmere V-Neck ($138)
- Jason Sudeikis, Fred Armisen, Seth Meyers and Will Forte, Actors, Saturday Night Live mugging for the camera in The Striped Sweater ($44.50)
Building on the brand's core philosophy of creating individual style, the campaign features personalized taglines centered on the theme of "your own." Each individual in the campaign provided a handwritten response to various fill-in-the-blank taglines about the holiday season. Twilight's Cam Gigandet's tag-line reads "Fulfill Your Own New Years Resolutions," Actor Rainn Wilson wrote, "Merry Your Own Naughty Elf," and Actress Milla Jovovich's simply says, "Celebrate Your Own Gift."
The campaign was developed by Laird + Partners, Gap's creative agency, and will run in November and December issues of weekly magazines including Entertainment Weekly, Rolling Stone and New York Magazine, as well as December issues of monthly magazines including Vogue, InStyle, Harpers Bazaar, Cookie, Real Simple, GQ, Details, Interview and Nylon. It will also run in The New York Times and New York Post, and will be featured in Gap stores, online at gap.com and outdoors in select markets on billboards and bus shelters.
Merry Mix It:
Merry Mixed Carols:
To extend the holiday "mix it" theme, today Gap is launching www.gap.com/MerryMixIt, home to a series of videos featuring unexpected combinations of actors, musicians and comedians outfitted in the latest holiday attire performing remixed versions of traditional holiday carols. The videos feature:
- Selma Blair and Rainn Wilson singing "Baby It's Cold Outside"
- Jon Heder and Janelle Monáe performing a unique version of "Winter Wonderland"
- Jason Biggs, Romany Malco and Freddy Rodriguez sounding bells to "We 3 Kingz"
- The Dixie Chicks and Sandra Bernhard belting out "Deck the Halls"
- Flo Rida and Trey Songz remixing "Jingle Bells"
- Special performance of the entire holiday cast performing a never-before seen remix of "Jingle Bells" led by Flo Rida and Trey Songz
Merry Mixed Carols can be easily shared with friends and family or embedded in social networking pages like Facebook and MySpace. iPhone users can download Gap's iTunes app to watch the videos on the go. Additionally, Gap is combining the ease of online shopping with the celebrities' entertaining performances. If holiday shoppers spot something they can't live without or would be a perfect gift, they can seamlessly make purchases directly from gap.com at the end of each video.
Using the remixed version of "Jingle Bells," exclusively recorded for Gap by Flo Rida and Trey Songz, users will be able to mix their own "Jingle Bells" carol using clips of the entire cast and send their own personalized holiday greeting card to friends and family. Users can select singers and dancers from the Gap Holiday Cast – including Selma Blair, Jason Biggs and the Dixie Chicks – to create a one-of-a-kind holiday greeting card.
Visit www.gap.com/MerryMixIt today to watch and share your favorite celebrities performing holiday classics. In addition, select videos – including "Winter Wonderland", "We 3 Kingz" and "Jingle Bells" starring the Gap Holiday Cast – will be featured in movie theaters nationwide starting Nov. 14. Moviegoers will receive a special offer to shop for everyone's favorite gifts at Gap stores nationwide.
Mix Not Match:
Gap is giving customers a fun, interactive way to make their holiday shopping lists this year. Users can mix up their own gift combinations at www.gap.com/MerryMixIt and create a gift list that can be personalized for friends and family. Users have the option of printing the list and taking it to their local Gap store or clicking through to make purchases directly on gap.com.
Mix Not Match is also available through Gapís iPhone app and provides users with a store locator using Google Maps to guide shoppers to the nearest Gap store where they can check off all the items on their list.
A (RED)™ Moment in NYC:
From Nov. 21 through Jan.4, Gap will be hosting a (RED) holiday pop up shop at its concept store, next to its New York City flagship store on 5th Ave. and 54th where visitors can purchase Gap's (PRODUCT)RED ™ collection in addition to (PRODUCT)RED items from other top brands including Converse, Emporio Armani, Dell and Hallmark. Proceeds from the sale of (PRODUCT)RED items benefit the Global Fund to help eliminate AIDS in Africa.
Limited-Edition Argyle Cruisers:
Inspired by the argyle patterns in the holiday collection, Gap partnered with Electra Bicycle Company to create a limited-edition Gap Holiday Cruiser – a unique and unexpected wish list item. Using a bicycle as a canvas, Electra mixed together art and fashion in a way that only it can do to create this special edition blue and black argyle cruiser for adults and kids, $499 and $299, respectively plus shipping [$7] and tax.
Beginning today, consumers can purchase the limited-edition Gap Holiday Cruiser sold exclusively at gap.com/cruisers, while supplies last. From today through December 23, holiday shoppers across the country will have the opportunity to check out the Gap Holiday Cruiser on display in more than 200 Gap stores nationwide.
About Gap Inc.
Gap Inc. is a leading global specialty retailer offering clothing, accessories and personal care products for men, women, children and babies under the Gap, Banana Republic, Old Navy, Piperlime and Athleta brand names. Fiscal 2007 sales were $15.8 billion. Gap Inc. operates more than 3,100 stores in the United States, the United Kingdom, Canada, France, Japan and Ireland. In addition, Gap Inc. is expanding its international presence with franchise agreements in Asia, Europe, Latin America and the Middle East. For more information, please visit gapinc.com.