CNN App for iPad Comes to the App Store
Visually-Rich Design Surfaces Enterprise Reporting and User Comments, Features Live Breaking News Video
Atlanta, December 14, 2010 /PRNewswire/ — CNN today announced its CNN App for iPad is now available on the App Store. The CNN App is designed to provide users with an immersive and visual news experience that takes full advantage of iPad’s expansive real estate and Multi Touch interface. Simultaneous to this launch, the CNN App for iPhone and iPod touch in the U.S. will be available for free, and a major update to the International version will add live breaking news video.
“High quality, world-class journalism is what CNN does best, whether live breaking news, hard-hitting interviews or in-depth investigations, and our iPad app presents that content to the world in a wholly new way,” said KC Estenson, senior vice president and general manager of CNN.com. “This app harnesses the best of what the iPad offers by leveraging striking photos and videos; elegant, multi-touch navigation; and the ability to share content with your friends via social media.”
Focused on creating a transformative news experience for its audience, the CNN App for iPad combines stunning imagery with the most compelling reporting from CNN, including text stories, blog posts, photo galleries, and live or on-demand video. Users have the ability to toggle between U.S. and International News Preferences, both of which serve live video of breaking news and select events as they happen. Additionally, when in the U.S. News Preference, users can listen to hourly audio news updates from CNN Radio.
The CNN App also places strong emphasis on user participation, adding an easily accessible user comment feature that runs alongside content on the screen. Additionally, users can share text stories, images and videos from the App via email, Facebook and Twitter.
“One of the things about the app that excites us most is the ability to serve the news needs of iPad users while also exposing them to original, enterprise content from CNN that will surprise and delight them,” said Louis Gump, vice president of CNN Mobile. “The CNN App was built from the ground up with our consumers in mind, and we are proud of the new CNN experience we’ve created for the device.”
The CNN App for iPad provides users with three viewing options: Broadsheet, List View and Slide Show.
- Broadsheet, the default view, presents up to 350 of the latest news stories in a grid-format featuring powerful imagery and headlines. Users can dive more deeply into a topic by selecting from any of the headlines or from a variety of topics. In addition, users can access the “Featured” section, which houses editorially-curated stories representing a cross-section of CNN’s most enterprising reporting. Finally, Broadsheet’s “Video” section includes a premium collection of on-demand video clips from CNN’s television networks and CNN.com.
- List View features a running list of headlines by topic and by category.
- Slide Show allows users to scroll or swipe through a visual presentation of the day’s top headlines.
Finally, to keep news fresh, the app will be updated in real-time as important stories break, and users will be notified of breaking news headlines via Push Notification.
The CNN App is available for free from the App Store on iPad or at http://itunes.com/apps/CNNAppforiPad. For more information about the CNN Apps for iPad, iPhone and iPod touch, go to www.cnn.com/mobile.
Launch advertiser Lexus will be featured in the CNN App for iPad in the U.S.
CNN Worldwide, a division of Turner Broadcasting System, Inc., a Time Warner Company, is the most trusted source for news and information. Its reach extends to nine cable and satellite television networks; one private place-based network; two radio networks; wireless devices around the world; CNN Digital Network, the No. 1 network of news Web sites in the United States; CNN Newsource, the world’s most extensively syndicated news service; and strategic international partnerships within both television and the digital media.
For more information, visit www.CNNPressroom.com and follow @CNNpr on Twitter.
ADDENDUM: Quotes from CNN Ad Sales Executives
- Greg D’Alba, executive vice president and chief operating officer of CNN Ad Sales and Marketing: “CNN’s new iPad app is another vehicle in our extensive portfolio that allows us to connect with highly engaged, active consumers. We’re working with our advertising partners to provide the opportunity for them to activate immersive and integrated ad campaigns that not only fit their brand but resonate with the audience that utilizes this platform.”
- Jonathan Davies, executive vice president of CNN International Ad Sales: “CNN International has a long track record of building ground breaking multi-platform platforms for our advertising partners. We’re very excited about now being able to offer them a superb iPad commercial opportunity as part of our growing portfolio of user and advertiser experiences.“